7 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
4 large egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup guinness stout
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon malt powder
5 oz box whoppers - roughly chopped
- Put the chocolate pieces in a large bowl and set a mesh strainer over the top.
- Warm the milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour a bit of the warm milk mixture into the egg yolks (to temper) and whisk constantly. Slowly add more - whisking while pouring. Then scrape the warmed egg yolk mixture back into the sauce pan.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer over the milk chocolate, then stir until the chocolate is melted. Once the mixture is smooth, whisk in the cream, then the guinness, vanilla, espresso powder and malt powder. Stir until cool over an ice bath.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- At the very end, add the chopped whoppers.
- Put into containers to freeze thoroughly.
Makes one quart.